What is the rate of incidence for pelvic organ prolapse?

It is estimated that approximately 9 percent of women in the United States require surgery for pelvic organ prolapse at some point in their lives. Pelvic organ prolapse is part of a group of conditions known as pelvic floor disorders that also includes urinary and bowel incontinence caused by failure of the pelvic muscles and connective tissue. Researchers predict that almost 24 percent of women in the United States will experience one or more pelvic floor disorders in their lifetimes; this becomes more likely after the age of 60.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Approximately 10% of women in the United States will require some type of surgery for pelvic organ prolapse (POP) in their lifetime. As high as 25% of women in the United States will have some form of POP in their lifetime, but often times these are mild and are self limiting and do not need surgical attention. As the patient population continues to age, I am seeing more and more patients in my office with these problems and most patients are not happy with the commonly given answer"just live with it". Most patient's do seek gynecologic attention and often times are wanting surgical procedures to remedy this problem.

Pelvic organ prolapse affects up to 50% of women after the age of 50. The majority of these women will not be symptomatic from this condition, but on physical exam, they will have some degree of prolapse. Up to one out of five women throughout their lifetime will have surgery to repair pelvic organ prolapse. This translates to approximately 226,000 women in the United States every year.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

Can female genital problems be prevented?
Depending on their cause, female genital problems may cause a wide variety of symptoms, ranging from...
What is Asherman's syndrome?
Asherman’s syndrome is a rare condition characterized by fibrosis of the endometrium, caused by the ...
Is there a cure for pelvic organ prolapse?
In many cases, pelvic organ prolapse can be cured or resolved with effective treatment. Surgery ofte...
Do I need to call my doctor about vaginal bleeding with an odor?
It is recommended that you call your doctor for vaginal bleeding accompanied by an odor, discharge o...