Can pelvic organ prolapse be prevented?

Exercising pelvic muscles can help prevent pelvic organ prolapse. Other ways women can prevent the condition is losing weight and quitting smoking.

Bringing pelvic floor problems to the attention of your urologist early can help prevent prolapse.

You can help prevent pelvic organ prolapse by addressing the risk factors that are within your control. For example, you can try to lose weight if you are obese. If you have a chronic cough, you can try to address the underlying cause, such as by quitting smoking if you are a smoker. Eating a healthy diet, drinking plenty of fluids, and getting regular exercise will also help. You can also commit to taking good care of the muscles in what is known as your pelvic floor—your vagina, urethra and rectum. For example, you can do Kegel exercises regularly and avoid lifting extremely heavy objects or otherwise straining those muscles.

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

In my opinion pelvic organ prolapse (POP) can be somewhat prevented. The number one cause of pelvic organ prolapse (POP) is obstetrics trauma. If the patient has an elective cesarean section, there is a possibility that this could decrease their chances of pelvic organ prolapse (POP). Also maintaining ideal body weight, as well as not smoking can also decrease your chances of having pelvic organ prolapse (POP).

You can't do anything about genetics.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

You can help prevent pelvic prolapse by strengthening your pelvic floor muscles. Learn more in this video with Dr. Oz, Dr. Elizabeth Mueller, Dr. MaryPat Fitzgerald and Dr. Kimberly Kenton.

Continue Learning about Female Reproductive System Disorders

What are the symptoms of female genital problems?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Women can experience a variety of genital problems that may be caused by infections, sexually transm...
What is the luteal phase defect (LPD)?
RESOLVE: The National Infertility AssociationRESOLVE: The National Infertility Association
Luteal phase defect (LPD) occurs when the endometrium is inadequately prepared, either because the s...
What are mixed androgen and estrogen secreting tumors?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Androgen secreting tumors cause a virilizing (masculinizing) syndrome. For boys, they can lead to ea...
Do I need to call my doctor about vaginal bleeding with an odor?
It is recommended that you call your doctor for vaginal bleeding accompanied by an odor, discharge o...