Why should I express my emotions in a relationship?

There is a very practical reason to express the anger, sadness, or other emotions that you may want to hide. If you don't share your anger at your partner, friend, or coworker, you do not give that person an opportunity to solve the problem that has sparked the anger.

While all relationships must be built on positive emotions of love, attraction, respect, and tenderness, these emotions can only be maintained if there is the possibility of correcting things when they veer off course. Anger, sadness, irritation, and other emotions offer an opportunity to communicate and give your partner a chance to address your concerns.

Intimacy is impossible if you live in fear of revealing all aspects of yourself -- your love, your needs, your rages, your doubts. We all hate the feeling that another is keeping something from us, because it represents a lack of sharing. The simple act of withholding anger in a relationship can set in motion vicious cycles of withholding, withdrawal, and further withholding, ultimately leading to tension and a lack of authenticity that frequently causes the relationship to fail.
Listening to Depression: How Understanding Your Pain Can Heal Your Life

A New Way of Thinking About DepressionWhat does it really mean to be depressed? You know depression as a collection of symptoms—fatigue, listlessness, feelings of worthlessness—and the source of...

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Could a Toxic Friendship Actually Shorten Your Life?
Good friends boost your confidence, listen when you need to vent and act as human shields when life throws you curveballs. The stress buffer that frie...
How can I keep the spark in my romantic relationship?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Try the following tips to reawaken the passion in your love life. It can be done!- Relive your first...
Why is a family called the club sandwich generation?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
A sense of family connection is important to many of us. During the time when we are going through t...
How Does My Friend Being Obese Influence My Weight?