When does habitual behavior become a problem?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Habitual behavior becomes a problem when your whole life goes on autopilot - when you continually act and react without thought, merely because this was the way you did it in the past. Look at your daily routine and see where it has become repetitive and unconscious. To a large extent, you do what you've always done, so you get what you've always received. And this is fine when everything is exactly as you like it but not so fine when you desire change, which, by the way, is most of the time.

Even when you recognize that you want to change, you probably go about trying to do it in the same ineffective ways that you've attempted in the past. How many times have you struggled to lose weight with a fad crash diet? With each failed attempt at change, you become more resigned to the inevitability of a situation; then, you give up and continue with the repeat behavior. When we do something over and over, it not only becomes ingrained, it becomes boring. We become boring. We bore ourselves. Life loses its spontaneity and sparkle. There's nothing to look forward to because tomorrow will be more of what we did today.

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Could a Toxic Friendship Actually Shorten Your Life?
Good friends boost your confidence, listen when you need to vent and act as human shields when life throws you curveballs. The stress buffer that frie...
Why is a family called the club sandwich generation?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
A sense of family connection is important to many of us. During the time when we are going through t...
How can I tell my spouse what's bothering me?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Any anger or resentment will bleed through your actions, so it's best to be upfront about something ...
Why Are Social Networks Important to Healthcare?