What is the difference between love and judgment?

Erik Fisher
The following explains the difference between love and judgment:
  • Love is an emotion. In its purest form, love is the most powerful emotion that exists. Judgment, on the other hand is devoid of emotion. In its purest form, it is pure logic and is extremely powerful to refute. Judgment can, however, evoke emotions in others, because of the strength or lack of strength in the logic used to support any judgment. However, regardless of the emotions that one feels, judgment is still not an emotion.
  • The power of love can draw even the most distant people together. Love traverses race, religion, age, gender, income, political affiliation -- there is almost nothing that love cannot draw together. We can see the power of love in the most unlikely of marriages and friendships. Judgment, on the other hand, almost always serves the purpose to separate and categorize. It often contributes to creating hierarchies and divisions in families, neighborhoods, politics, nations and religions. Judgment often justifies war and genocide. Even when it does serve to draw some people together, it still serves to separate others.
  • Love often lacks objectivity and in its truest form is unconditional. It neither evaluates nor questions -- it just is. The very nature of Judgment is conditional. It requires questions and answers, and while one would hope it is based in truth, it often is not.
  • Love often hits us like a ton of bricks. There is not much that is subtle about it. Like a teen crush or a running, jumping hug from your child, love can knock you off your feet. There are times that love can sneak up on us, but not very often. Judgment is often very subtle, and many of us do not realize when we have formed judgments, whether those judgments are fair or not. Judgment is tied to our opinions and world views, and while sometimes we hold onto some judgments as truth, they are often based in opinion, conjecture, rationalization and justification. The subtleness of these influences often leads to arrogance and tease us into defining a false truth. Propaganda is often uses pieces of truth combined with subtle misinformation to feed false judgments.
  • Love does not consist of stratifications. Judgment often depends on stratification. The person judging is often seen as or wants to be seen as having a higher status than the person being judged. The need to be seen as or consider oneself as above or below others feeds this stratification and further judgment.

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

How to Forgive Someone, Even When It Feels Impossible
“Forgiveness is not for anyone but yourself. It’s to release the pain, to release the incident, to recognize that it happened and things may have chan...
What are some benefits of talking about myself to others?
Experts suggest that self-disclosure procures adaptive advantages in a number of ways: by streng...
How can I become fearless in my relationships?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
You can’t be in a fearless, fulfilling relationship and be looking over your shoulder for approval a...
How Does My Friend Being Obese Influence My Weight?