What are the types of jealousy?

There are two main categories of jealousy: normal and abnormal. However, there are some basic labels that can be attached to all forms of jealousy. They include:

• Romantic jealousy: This may be the most frequent type of normal jealousy that people experience. The first fight that romantic couples have typically involves jealousy, according to a report by PBS Nightly Business Reporter. When asked about jealousy over sexual versus emotional fidelity, more jealousy was reported by both sexes about their partner's emotional infidelity, according to 2004 study published in Evolutionary Psychology.
  • Power or work jealousy: This form of jealousy strikes when someone is jealous about someone else getting a promotion, a raise, or some other reward at work.
  • Friend jealousy: This occurs when someone is afraid of losing a friend to an interloper.
  • Family jealousy: Rivalry among siblings is a classic form of this type of jealousy.
  • Abnormal jealousy: This kind of jealousy is usually described with words like morbid, pathological, psychotic, delusional or anxious. It can be attributed to extreme immaturity, insecurity or an obsession with being in control. Sometimes it is due to a mental illness such as schizophrenia or paranoia, or due to a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Could a Toxic Friendship Actually Shorten Your Life?
Good friends boost your confidence, listen when you need to vent and act as human shields when life throws you curveballs. The stress buffer that frie...
What should I do if I feel lonely even though I am in a relationship?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
If you feel lonely even though you are in a relationship, examine your relationship. If you are doin...
What is the honeymoon phase of a relationship?
The honeymoon phase of a relationship is the beginning of a relationship when both partners are esse...
How Have Social Networks Impacted Your Health?