Is there any scientific truth to the adage that "opposites attract?"

Did you think the concept of "opposites attract" is just way to explain how Type As ended up with Type Bs? In one study, women were given smelly T-shirts of men (nice experiment, eh?) and told to pick the ones they found most attractive. You know what they picked? Not the Iron Maiden Ts, but the ones of people whose genes were most different from theirs, indicating that we're actually hard-wired to diversify the gene pool. This also keeps siblings from being attracted to each other, which (besides being weird) increases the chances of genetic defects.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Feelings & Emotions in Relationships

Could a Toxic Friendship Actually Shorten Your Life?
Good friends boost your confidence, listen when you need to vent and act as human shields when life throws you curveballs. The stress buffer that frie...
Can positive psychology improve my relationship with my partner?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
There is some evidence that applying principles from positive psychology can enhance relationshi...
Why is touching an important part of a relationship?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
When couples have difficulties that lead to an avoidance of sex, there is often also an avoidance of...
How Can Being in a Sexless Partnership Affect My Health?