Why should I lower my triglyceride levels?

Jonathan A. Fialkow, MD
Triglycerides are the end product of digesting and breaking down fats and carbohydrates in foods.

The heart healthy benefit of lowering your triglyceride level has not been conclusively proven. However, research continues to link triglycerides and harmful low-density lipoproteins (LDL or "bad" cholesterol) particles to the build-up of wax plaque inside blood vessels. Doctors call this problem "coronary atherosclerosis." It’s a major risk factor for heart disease and the ultimate cause of heart attacks and strokes and death.

Your doctor can measure your triglyceride levels using a common test called a lipid panel. It’s the same blood test that checks “good” (HDL) and “bad” (LDL) cholesterol levels. Prescription omega-3 fatty acid products have proven to be safe and effective in lowering high triglycerides and unhealthy LDL-containing particles, such as triglyceride-rich lipoproteins.

Continue Learning about Fats

Top 5 Hidden Sat-Fat Traps
Top 5 Hidden Sat-Fat Traps
Think you’ve rid yourself of saturated fats? Even if you’re avoiding red meat, whole diary, gooey cheese, crunchy bacon, tropical oils, and creamy but...
How can I know how much fat I am eating?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
There are two ways to look up amount of fat grams contained in a serving of food. In packaged foods ...
Can consuming too much omega-6 fatty acids be unhealthy?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
The problem is not whether or not you consume too much omega-6 fatty acids, but the ratio of omega-6...
What Types of Fats Should I Choose for a Healthy Diet?