What is dietary fat made of?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Fat is built of fatty acids containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Fatty acids come in three varieties: saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. The more saturated the molecule is with hydrogen molecules, the more solid the fat is at room temperature and the worse it is for your health.
Dr. Vonda Wright's Guide to Thrive: 4 Steps to Body, Brains, and Bliss

Dr. Wright unfolds her Guide to Thrive by preparing readers for six remarkable months of body, brains, and bliss transformation, using her framework of the four practical steps. As a scientist and...

Continue Learning about Fats

All About YOU: Getting More Better-for-You Fats
Corn oil, margarine, steak . . . if these items make a regular appearance in your diet, you may need more "3s." That's omega-3s—found in foods like f...
What is the function of fats in my diet?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Everyone needs some fat in their diet to make sure their bodies function properly. Fat is used to re...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
What Kind of Visceral Fat In My Body Can Be Harmful?