What are some sources of good monounsaturated fat?

Some foods that contain monounsaturated fats include:
  • olive oil
  • canola oil
  • sunflower oil
  • high-oleic safflower oil
  • nuts
  • avocados
Eating monounsaturated fats in place of saturated fats and trans fats may lower your cholesterol, which is why "monos" are often called good fats. (Fatty meats and full-fat dairy foods are top sources of saturated fats; trans fats are found in some fried foods and packaged snack foods such as cookies and crackers.) Because of their beneficial effect on cholesterol, monounsaturated fats appear to promote heart health when eaten in moderation.

Olives and olive oil are a key source of monounsaturated fats. Avocados are another food rich in monounsaturated fats and high in fiber and potassium. Avocados are also one of the few dietary sources of vitamin E. If you wish to eat fat, an avocado is a good choice. Remember that one avocado can be as much as one third of your daily fat allowance, with nearly 20 grams of fat in each. For you aficionados, Florida avocados, although not as creamy tasting as California avocados, contain significantly less fat.

The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...
Janis Jibrin, MS, RD
Sources of monounsaturated fatty acids include: Olive oil and canola oil, which are loaded with monounsaturated fats, so make these your staple oils. Other mono-rich foods include avocados, almonds, cashews, peanuts, and sesame seeds.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Fats

Top 5 Hidden Sat-Fat Traps
Top 5 Hidden Sat-Fat Traps
Think you’ve rid yourself of saturated fats? Even if you’re avoiding red meat, whole diary, gooey cheese, crunchy bacon, tropical oils, and creamy but...
How do the different types of fatty acids differ from one another?
Most foods contain different types of fat: saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and tran...
What type of fat does coconut oil contain?
Keri Glassman, MS, RDKeri Glassman, MS, RD
Coconut oil contains a beneficial type of saturated fat called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), wh...
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?