How can I increase my intake of monounsaturated fats (MUFAs)?

Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) can actually lower total cholesterol and increase good, HDL cholesterol. Try to include a few servings of these foods in your diet: nuts, peanuts, walnuts, pistachios, cashew nuts, hazelnuts (remember, keep nut servings to 1/4 cup), avocado oil, canola oil and olive oil.

Remember, just 1 tablespoon of oil contains approximately 120 calories and 14 grams of fat -- although it is a healthier fat, you still need to use it in small amounts.

Continue Learning about Fats

Don’t Go to Food Extremes!
Don’t Go to Food Extremes!
On July 15, 1972 Fat Furnace Creek in Death Valley, CA, had a ground temp of 201°F. And in late July of 2013 in Siberia the temperature hit 89.6°F, me...
What is prostaglandin?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Prostaglandin E1 is a hormone-like substance created when the body ingests an essential fatty acid c...
How should I choose healthy dietary fats?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
Quality is by far the most important factor in choosing a fat. In this context, quality means a ...
Eat Beans to Fight Belly Fat, Heart Disease and Diabetes