How can I increase my intake of monounsaturated fats (MUFAs)?

Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) can actually lower total cholesterol and increase good, HDL cholesterol. Try to include a few servings of these foods in your diet: nuts, peanuts, walnuts, pistachios, cashew nuts, hazelnuts (remember, keep nut servings to 1/4 cup), avocado oil, canola oil and olive oil.

Remember, just 1 tablespoon of oil contains approximately 120 calories and 14 grams of fat -- although it is a healthier fat, you still need to use it in small amounts.

Continue Learning about Fats

Avoid Trans Fats for Your Memory's Sake
Avoid Trans Fats for Your Memory's Sake
Found in everything from coffee creamers to frozen pizza dough, trans fats are extremely prevalent in America. And while they extend the shelf life of...
What are the side effects of fibrates?
Side effects may include abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, gallstones, a rash, itching...
What should I remember when cooking with fats?
You should remember two things when you cook with fats. First, prepare foods with unsaturated fats w...
Eat Beans to Fight Belly Fat, Heart Disease and Diabetes