What is the function of fats in cellular membranes?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Every human cell has a protective, permeable membrane. Membranes contain two layers, each made mainly of proteins, cholesterol, and fats in the form of phospholipids. Phospholipids are almost the same as triglycerides, except that one of the three fatty acid units is replaced by a molecule that contains phosphorus.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Fats

How Saturated Fats Make You Fatter
How Saturated Fats Make You Fatter
When Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’s shape-shifting Odo (René Auberjonois) decides to change the way his body looks, he morphs from a gelatinous blob to ...
Why should I limit my intake of saturated fat?
Cassie VanderwallCassie Vanderwall
Saturated fat, or fat that is solid at room temperature, typically comes from animal fats. Saturated...
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
The Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your BodyThe Best (and Worst) Fats for Your Body
Protect your heart health—and much more—by choosing the right fatty foods.
What Are the Health Benefits of Red Palm Oil?