Which dietary fats should I avoid?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Here is a list of oils and fats you want to minimize or avoid in your diet. The more saturated the fatty acid, the greater the detrimental effect on the total cholesterol and on the bad component called LDL.

saturated fats:
  • palmitic acid
  • stearic acid
  • myristic acid
  • lauric acid
  • partially hydrogenated oils
Eric Olsen
Fitness
The principle holds that the saturated fats found in meats (particularly red meats) and dairy products such as butter can lead to heart disease, and should be reduced, whereas the liquid, unsaturated fats in vegetable oils, although just as densely caloric, aren't as harmful to health (although too much of any fat will make you fat).
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Bad fats generally include saturated fats (found in animal products), trans fats (found in hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils) and cholesterol (found in egg yolks, meats and dairy products). Even this general grouping, however, can be misleading: new research is finding that some saturated fats (like those found in coconut oil) may actually be good for you and that dietary cholesterol may not affect blood cholesterol as much as was once thought. The only fat that is universally accepted as bad is trans fat, and that’s now been stripped out of most foods.

Hamburger & Fries
Manuel Villacorta
"Bad" fats include trans fat (which comes from partially hydrogenated oils). They are dubbed bad fats because they are known to contribute to cardiovascular disease. This is why it is very important to reduce your consumption of these fats. If there is one fat I recommend avoiding as much as possible, it's hydrogenated fats. They have no value and do demonstrable harm.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Fats and Weight Loss

Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Former San Diego Charger’s lineman Nick Hardwick retired from the National Football League and from his daily 5,000-plus calorie diet that included sa...
What types of fats should I avoid if I want to lose weight?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Stay away from saturated fats (found mostly in foods from animals and some plants), like butter,...
How can eating some fat before a meal help me lose weight?
The slower you digest food, the slower your stomach empties and the fuller you'll feel. Although eat...
How Does the Vanquish Fat Reduction Device Work to Melt Body Fat?