Which dietary fats should I avoid?

Manuel Villacorta
"Bad" fats include trans fat (which comes from partially hydrogenated oils). They are dubbed bad fats because they are known to contribute to cardiovascular disease. This is why it is very important to reduce your consumption of these fats. If there is one fat I recommend avoiding as much as possible, it's hydrogenated fats. They have no value and do demonstrable harm.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Bad fats generally include saturated fats (found in animal products), trans fats (found in hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils) and cholesterol (found in egg yolks, meats and dairy products). Even this general grouping, however, can be misleading: new research is finding that some saturated fats (like those found in coconut oil) may actually be good for you and that dietary cholesterol may not affect blood cholesterol as much as was once thought. The only fat that is universally accepted as bad is trans fat, and that’s now been stripped out of most foods.

Hamburger & Fries
Eric Olsen
Fitness
The principle holds that the saturated fats found in meats (particularly red meats) and dairy products such as butter can lead to heart disease, and should be reduced, whereas the liquid, unsaturated fats in vegetable oils, although just as densely caloric, aren't as harmful to health (although too much of any fat will make you fat).
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...
Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Here is a list of oils and fats you want to minimize or avoid in your diet. The more saturated the fatty acid, the greater the detrimental effect on the total cholesterol and on the bad component called LDL.

saturated fats:
  • palmitic acid
  • stearic acid
  • myristic acid
  • lauric acid
  • partially hydrogenated oils

Continue Learning about Fats and Weight Loss

Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Lose Weight by Adding the Right Fat
Former San Diego Charger’s lineman Nick Hardwick retired from the National Football League and from his daily 5,000-plus calorie diet that included sa...
How can I reduce the fat in my diet?
Love of fat is not a genetically inherited taste. It's a taste we acquire. If you switch from wh...
How much fat can I include in my diet?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
Fortunately, the bad old days of ultra low fat diets are well behind us, and the healthy range of fa...
Is Diet or Exercise More Important for Weight Loss?