Does fasting lead to anorexia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Sometimes fasting can become an obsession and lead to anorexia nervosa. Cases where a doctor actually recommends fasting as a weight loss treatment are few and far between, and it is usually only recommended for morbid obesity. When the doctor does instruct a person to fast, they usually recommend partial fasting, in which an individual fasts once a week or once a month. Anorexia nervosa involves total starvation for cosmetic or psychological reasons, and this unmanaged condition can lead to serious health complications. Anorexia often shows up in young people and in those who are of a regular weight.

Continue Learning about Fasting

Why Should I Listen to My Body When Doing Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
What Is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
What Is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?
What Are the Possible Benefits of Fasting?