Does fasting affect children differently than adults?

Usually, fasting is not recommended for children. Children are more vulnerable when fasting because of their smaller size and increased metabolic needs. Even most spiritualities and religions that practice fasting make exceptions for them. In fact, one of the reasons that newborn babies wake up and eat in the middle of the night is because they do not have enough stored glycogen to make it through the night without consuming more nutrients. In cases of medical testing or surgery, however, fasting may be necessary, even for small children. Sometimes, an emphasis on fasting and weight loss in children can lead to problems later on, like anorexia nervosa.

Continue Learning about Fasting

How does fasting produce intestinal starvation?
Intestinal starvation is a condition that can occur as a result of fasting. Because the gastrointest...
Is fasting life-threatening?
If not monitored properly, fasting can be very serious and at times life-threatening. Usually fastin...
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
The Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent FastingThe Do's and Dont's of Intermittent Fasting
Is intermittent fasting right for you?
Why Should I Listen to My Body When Doing Intermittent Fasting (IF)?