How can I tell if my fasciculation is benign?

Benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS) is the generalized term to describe muscle twitching when it does not stem from a nervous system disorder, such as Lou Gherig's disease. Benign fasciculation can often cause high anxiety, because the cause of the twitching is unknown. However, benign fasciculation is not accompanied by muscle weakness or loss of feeling, which can be signs of something more serious. Usually, a doctor rules out the possibility of nerve damage with an electromyogram (EMG) scan of the body to make sure the muscle twitching is benign.

Continue Learning about Fasciculation (Muscle Twitch)

Should I talk to my doctor about my fasciculation symptoms?
You should speak to your doctor about your fasciculation symptoms if they continue for an extended p...
What causes twitching?
Twitching is caused by involuntary reflexes of the muscles. Learn more about twitching in this v...
How is fasciculation diagnosed?
The cause of muscular fasciculation is diagnosed in several different ways depending on what the phy...
What causes fasciculation?
Fasciculation (slight tremor) can be caused by harmless conditions but may also indicate neurologica...