How can I develop an honest relationship with my family?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
There are simple ways to help develop honesty in your family. Research continues to reveal the positive psychological virtues fostered by simply eating dinner together as a family. You create a forum for the cultivation of honesty and vulnerability when you take the time and commitment to celebrate food and share stories with each other.

Each holiday is an opportunity to teach your children about the value of honesty. As you spend holiday time with other families, neighbors, and friends, you have the chance to observe, listen, and foster your children's honesty about their experiences. This can create the basis for a lifetime of rich, loving memories.

Many of us do not have a biological family rooted in honesty. We are then challenged to create a nonbiological family where we can live in honesty. You can seek family in your community through special interest groups such as animal rescue groups, twelve-step programs, yoga and meditation groups, or gardening enthusiasts. Celebrate holidays, rituals, birthdays and losses with your supportive family.

Anything is possible when we create a family environment where everyone is supported and loved in their journey to honesty and truth. Like an underground spring, the pressure is too great to keep it from spilling out sooner or later.
Uncommon H.O.P.E.: A Powerful Guide to Creating an Extraordinary Life

Every day, the little constant stresses and anxieties leave us feeling unfulfilled, not living the best life possible. But what if the life we want to live is with in our grasp and we don't even know...

Continue Learning about Family Relationships

How can I keep a multiple child family in order when out in public?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In this video from the Discovery Health show "Baby Madness," Diamond Harris, mother of 7, shares her...
What tips will help me unplug and engage with my family?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Each minute we are plugged in electronically means less engaging face-to-face time with our kids. Th...
Gloria and Yolanda on Their Competitive Relationship
How Has the Rise of Social Networks Impacted Your Research on Social Relationships?