Why are close family relationships important for my child?

Very confident children come from strong, united families. Good communication within a family encourages feelings of self-worth and helps children maintain good relationships with others. Even small families can have close bonds with each other, but that’s not discounting the importance of extended family members. A closeness with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and family friends helps give your child a sense of security and a source of love and acceptance. If your child doesn’t have extended family involved in her life, it may be worthwhile to “adopt” family friends or neighbors to serve in that role.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Family Health

A Way to Die With Dignity and Peace
A Way to Die With Dignity and Peace
Most people want to be remembered long after they leave this earth, and particularly on their own terms. It’s this essential concept that inspired Har...
What are some fun ways to be active as a family?
The trick is to tailor activities to your family. You need to find approaches that you and your kids...
How can I feed my family a healthier diet?
Lyn TurtonLyn Turton
Reduce the amount of processed food you use and increase the amount of fresh ingredients in your die...
Why You Should Eat Dinner as a Family
Why You Should Eat Dinner as a Family