Why are close family relationships important for my child?

Very confident children come from strong, united families. Good communication within a family encourages feelings of self-worth and helps children maintain good relationships with others. Even small families can have close bonds with each other, but that’s not discounting the importance of extended family members. A closeness with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and family friends helps give your child a sense of security and a source of love and acceptance. If your child doesn’t have extended family involved in her life, it may be worthwhile to “adopt” family friends or neighbors to serve in that role.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Family Health

Health Journal: Track Your Medical Information in This Printable Diary
Keeping an accurate personal health record is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself. Whether you want to track your progress in managing a c...
How can I help my child discover her heritage?
To help your children become interested in their heritage, you could try any of the follow strategie...
Why do families overeat?
For most of us, overeating (and making our children eat too much) results from complex emotions and ...
How Do We Promote Lifestyle Change to Prevent Obesity?