What are the benefits of volunteering as a family?

Erik Fisher
Volunteering, as a family, can teach many positive lessons. When we contribute our time and effort, it helps us to feel better about ourselves, teaches a stronger work ethic, contributes to learning about the world around us, results in us meeting different people and forming different relationships, and provides confidence-building experiences in a variety of different job tasks.

If, as a parent, you feel that you work hard enough at what you do, then you have to be very careful of the message you are sending your child. If you spent only three hours on a Saturday morning once a month with your kids cleaning up a shelter or planting flowers, or commit part of your day around Thanksgiving or Christmas to feed people at a shelter or church, it still sends a positive message that your children will value the rest of their lives.

Continue Learning about Family Health

A Way to Die With Dignity and Peace
A Way to Die With Dignity and Peace
Most people want to be remembered long after they leave this earth, and particularly on their own terms. It’s this essential concept that inspired Har...
How can my family reduce morning chaos?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are a few simple solutions to help families step back from the morning chaos and make their mor...
How can I create a family mission statement?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
If you have a partner, I recommend beginning with him or her first, just the grown-ups for now. Or y...
Can Genes Play A Role in Obesity?
Can Genes Play A Role in Obesity?