How can having a chronically ill child affect parents?

While many couples help each other get through their child’s crisis, the frustration, guilt, exhaustion, and anger that hovers over parents during trying times can cause marriage troubles. The stress of caring for a chronically ill child can quickly bring any marital issues front and center. One study found that parents of children with genetically based diseases, such as hemophilia, have a higher than 70 percent divorce rate.

Having a sick child reminds a lot of parents of the first few months after childbirth, when exhaustion is the norm and there’s virtually no time for sleep, recovery, or each other. The situation with a chronically ill child is the same thing but often with no end in sight. Normal outlets to recharge your batteries are hard to come by. You need to set up a support system and accept offers of help so that you and your spouse can find time for each other.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Family Challenges & Problems

Why won’t my veteran spouse talk to me about combat experiences?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Some veterans open up once they have adjusted to civilian life, and want to share some of their comb...
How can I monitor my family's plugged-in habits?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Over the next few days do an informal reality check of your family. Note the extent each family ...
How can addiction affect a family?
Heather Hayes, LPCHeather Hayes, LPC
Addiction affects everyone in the family system; the addict is not the only person who suffers or ...
How Can I Blend Different Families Into One Cohesive Unit?