What are the risks of a limited incision rhytidectomy (mini-facelift)?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

The risks of a limited incision mini-facelift include bleeding, infections, scarring and recurrence of skin laxity. Bleeding or a hematoma is the most common complication after any surgical procedure. Infection is the second most common problem seen. Our patients are given preoperative intravenous antibiotics and 5 days of post-operative antibiotics to reduce the incidence of infection. The scarring in front of the ear may be evident. It can hypertrophy, keloid, widespread or discolor. Edema, swelling, deep vein thrombus, or pulmonary embolus can occur. Recurrence of skin laxity, jowls, prominent nasolabial folds may occur due to inadequate skin removal or tightening of the SMAS (secondary deeper layer tightening). 

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

Can I have a 'neck lift' independent of a facelift?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
For patients with loose neck skin and submental fat, a neck lift may be performed. Patients without ...
How should I choose a face-lift surgeon?
John J. Martin Jr., MDJohn J. Martin Jr., MD
There are several specialties that perform facelifts:  General plastic surgeons, facial plastic surg...
What is a mid-facelift?
What is a mid-facelift?
Who is a good candidate for facelift surgery?