If I go for face lift, is it necessary for me to stay in the hospital?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

The majority of patients undergoing a face lift do NOT require hospital stay. In fact, patients normally stay at a 24 hour post-operative care facility with licensed nurses. The nurses will help with medications, removal of fluid from the drains, and dressing changes. The aftercare facilities are excellent for women whom have also undergone large body sculpting procedures or mommy makeovers. 

Sarmela Sunder, MD
Facial Plastic Surgery (ENT)
No, it is generally not required that you stay in the hospital following a facelift. Depending on the type of facelift, it may be recommended that you have a nurse stay with you for the first night, but this does not need to be in a hospital. You must have someone be with you for 24 hours following anesthesia. Most of the time, it is normal for a family member or friend care for the patient. 

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

What should I expect after my facelift surgery?
John F. Burnett, MDJohn F. Burnett, MD
After facelift surgery you should expect some swelling and possibly some bruising, as well as some n...
Why is fat grafting sometimes used in conjunction with facelift procedures?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Concurrent fat grafting can be combined with a facelift procedure to increase volume to specific are...
How Can I Look Younger Without a Facelift?
Who is a good candidate for a mid-facelift?