How can I prepare myself for a facelift?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

No different than any other surgical procedure, the patient must understand the true risks and benefits of the surgery. You should attend both a consultation with the surgeon and a second preop visit prior to the surgery to review the technique of the facelift, the Do's and Dont's, evaluate medications, medical history, and complications/risks. Cease all blood thinners including Aspirin, Advil, and Motrin 1 week prior to surgery. Abandon all smoking and nicotine products at least 6 weeks prior to the procedure. Review your post-operative instructions Carefully! No lifting or straining for several weeks and keep all incisions site clean and dry as instructed by the Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine
The best way to prepare yourself for a facelift is to educate yourself to YOU. Do some deep searching as to why you feel you need or want this lift. Be sure the lift is not to cover up any feelings that you may be trying to ignore or simply shy away from. And explore all procedures that may offer you the same or similar result. Make the most informed decision and that is the best preparation. Once you have decided your path then again be sure that you understand all outcomes.
Erik A. Hoy, MD
Plastic Surgery
The best way to prepare for surgery is to educate yourself about the procedure you are planning to undergo, and the risks and benefits associated with it. In doing this, you should know what the typical course of recovery will be like, but also what problems to look out for. You should understand all of the medications your physician recommends for you, and how to care for your incisions. Make sure you have all of your questions answered prior to surgery.

You should know what medications to avoid (such as aspirin and other blood thinners, among others) in the weeks leading up to your surgery. This is especially important in facelift procedures, because the biggest risk here is for hematoma postoperatively. Other factors that can help prevent hematoma after face lifting is strict control of blood pressure. You and your surgeon will have to work together closely to make sure that your blood pressure is controlled within a safe range. If you smoke, you must quit smoking for several months prior to your procedure, and use this as an opportunity to never restart! Finally, make sure you don't eat or drink anything after midnight on the day of your surgery, and that you know which medications, if any you should take the morning of surgery.

Continue Learning about Facelift Or Necklift

Will prior sun damage affect my facelift?
Sarmela Sunder, MDSarmela Sunder, MD
Prior sun exposure and sun damage affects the quality of skin. Because of this, sun-damaged skin is ...
Will it be obvious that I've had a facelift?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
A good facelift should NOT be obvious! As board-certified plastic surgeons, we aim in creating natur...
How Effective Are Noninvasive Face-Lifts?
What Are the Risks Involved With a Facelift?