What is the choroid?

Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmology
The choroid of the eye is sandwiched between the sclera (the white of the eye) and retina (the thin, light-sensitive inner layer at the rear of the eye). This membrane is packed with blood vessels that carry oxygen and other nourishment to the adjacent outer portion of the retina.

Choroid is a thin layer of tissue that is part of the middle layer of the wall of the eye, between the sclera (white outer layer of the eye) and the retina (the inner layer of nerve tissue at the back of the eye). The choriod is filled with blood vessels that bring oxygen and nutrients to the eye.

This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Eye and Vision

Watching the Solar Eclipse? Here’s How to Protect Your Eyes
It hasn't happened since 1979, and won't again until 2024. But on Monday, August 21, 2017, for the first time since the Carter administration, a total...
How do I manage my viral eye infections on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Managing a viral eye infection is often simply a case of staying home and limiting contact with othe...
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes5 Best Foods for Your Eyes
Swap your carrots for these eye-friendly foods.
What Are Some Basic Facts About Children's Eye Health?