Can astigmatism have any complications?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Astigmatism that is different in the two eyes can cause amblyopia, or a lazy eye. This condition especially affects children. One eye is being used more by the brain, which causes this eye to be stronger than the other. This is the most serious complication associated with astigmatism.

Continue Learning about Eye Conditions

What should I do if I have temporary blindness and pressure in my eyes?
George A. Williams, MDGeorge A. Williams, MD
You need a comprehensive eye exam as soon as possible. Decreased vision can be a serious warning sig...
What is the difference between a pterygium and a pinguecula?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
A pinguecula is a yellowish patch or bump on the conjunctiva, most often on the side closest to the ...
How Does Personalized Medicine Play Into Ophthalmology?
Is Laser Therapy Safer than It Used to Be?