Are there any risks in taking Exelon (rivastigmine)?

Exelon (rivastigmine) may cause seizures or other neurological effects, so it is especially important to avoid potentially seizure-inducing activities. This drug has also caused many people to develop stomach or intestinal problems, such as nausea, vomiting, pain, or a loss of appetite. Exelon may cause urinary problems, bleeding in the stomach or intestines. This medication is used with caution in those with COPD, asthma and those who have low body weight. If you overdose on Exelon, you could risk having a seizure or going into shock.

Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Exelon is generally safe and well tolerated. The most common side effects involve the GI tract. Nausea, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea are common adverse effects that frequently lessen with time. Much less common but more serious side effects include bradycardia (slowing of the heart rate) which can result in loss of consciousness. Seizures are a rare side effect.

Continue Learning about Exelon

What should I know about the Exelon Patch (rivastigmine) before using it?
Before you use the Exelon Patch (rivastigmine), you should know that you cannot apply the patch to t...
How soon after taking Exelon will my symptoms improve?
Everyone responds to medication differently, and the same is true for Exelon. Your doctor will proba...
What happens if I miss a dose of Exelon?
If you miss a dose of Exelon, take it immediately when you remember it. Do not take the missed dose ...
What is Exelon?
Exelon is the brand name for the active ingredient rivastigmine. It is a central nervous system (CNS...