How can I make exercise fun?

Toby Smithson

One of the keys is to do something you enjoy doing. If you like to watch television, add some exercise as you watch your favorite TV program. If you get up and exercise during the commercial breaks of a one hour TV show, you can get 15 minutes of exercise and still be able to watch your show. You can also ride a stationary bicycle or walk on the treadmill as you watch TV. If you like to dance, turn on some music and dance to burn calories. Other options include purposefully adding physical activity into your day like parking your car further from the door to wherever you are going or carrying one grocery bag at a time from the car into the house.

Exercise should not be considered work or an inconvenience. Exercise should be fun and enriching; there are several ways to be sure that it is:  

• Make it playful, like participating in a sport or a game such as recreational softball, basketball or soccer. Help your children increase activity by playing catch or other games such as tag.  
  • Add a friend to your exercise programming. Taking walks or joining a sport with your spouse or friend can be added benefit.  
  • Group exercise will bring many people together in a fun environment.
  • Listen to music or audio books while exercising.  
  • Be adventurous; try new activities, such as hiking, yoga, pilates, or exercising at unique places such as playgrounds or parks.      
  • Don’t stress about weight loss, enjoy exercise and the weight will eventually come off.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

The Exercise Plan to Extend Your Life
The Exercise Plan to Extend Your Life
Newton’s first law of motion is also sometimes called the law of inertia. Briefly, an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in mo...
One Thing You Can Do Today to Have a Second Chance at Health
Whether you’re talking fantasy or reality, do-overs don’t usually happen, but nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to past health mis...
How Do I Get a Good Workout While Doing Household Chores?
How Can I Keep Myself Physically Active Despite a Busy Schedule?