How can athletes be evaluated during exercise in the heat?

Michael Bergeron, PhD
Sports Medicine
A sweat fluid and electrolyte losses and physiological strain in the heat assessment evaluates an athlete in a specific environment using a temperature, humidity, and exercise intensity that elicited performance or health problems (such as premature fatigue, heat exhaustion, or muscle cramps). The test can also be used to simulate upcoming training or competition conditions.

The test measures sweat fluid and electrolyte (sodium, potassium, and chloride) losses and also evaluates cardiovascular and thermal strain (heart rate, core body temperature, and physiological strain index).

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

When should I progress in my exercise program?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
One thing that most fitness professionals understand better than anyone else is how and when to prog...
How can I make best use of EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)?
Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption is the period of time after exercise where your body is stil...
How does the RPE help determine the intensity of exercise?
Mr. Donovan GreenMr. Donovan Green
Exercising can be fun and also very dangerous. Many people use gadgets such as heart rate monitors w...
How do I self monitor my exercise?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Monitoring your exercise is really quite simple and well worth the effort. You have a number of ...