Does ethanol poisoning affect men and women differently?

Ethanol (alcohol) poisoning and binge drinking are more common in men. Women, however, are generally more sensitive to the effects of alcohol. Women are generally smaller in size and also produce less of an enzyme in their stomach to break down the alcohol. Risks to men's health include consistently higher rates of accidental death, impaired sexual function, and increased risk of some types of cancers. Women may experience fertility changes, liver, heart and brain effects, and pregnant women may severely damage the development of an unborn child.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

When should I call a doctor about ethanol poisoning?
Some people who have ingested too much alcohol may lose consciousness. If the person is unconscious ...
How does ethanol poisoning affect the body?
Alcohol has almost immediate effects because it is absorbed in the bloodstream more quickly than it ...
How do other illnesses affect ethanol poisoning?
A person is much more prone to ethanol poisoning if their general health is already compromised. Hea...
How do I care for someone with ethanol poisoning?
If you think someone has severe alcohol poisoning, then they may need to go to the ER. If they are l...