How should I take Premarin?

Premarin is taken as a once-daily tablet. You can take this tablet with or without food, but it should be taken with a full glass of water. Try to take your tablet at the same time each day. Taking your medication at the same time each day may also help you remember to take it. If you have any questions about how to take Premarin, you should talk with your doctor or pharmacist so you are sure to take it as prescribed.

Premarin is available in a pill or cream form. If you are taking the oral form, which comes in a variety of dosages, you take it once a day, with or without food. Like many other medications, it's a good idea to take it the same time everyday so you don't forget.

If your doctor has prescribed Premarin cream you may not need to use it every day. Some women only need to use it twice a week and some women take it in a cyclic fashion, daily for 21 days and then off for 7 days. Your doctor will tell you what is best for you. It comes with an applicator that you fill and insert into the vagina. When you get the tube it will have an instruction pamphlet showing you how to apply the cream. Essentially, you will thread the applicator onto the tube and squeeze the tube with the medicine from the bottom until it fills the barrel. There will be a line that tells you when to stop. Then you insert it into the vagina, depress the plunger to release the medicine, similar to inserting a tampon.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

What should I know before taking conjugated estrogens?
If you have asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, epilepsy, hypoparathyroidism, impaired kidney ...
As a woman, can estrogen protect me from heart disease?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
In the past, doctors believed that estrogen would protect women from heart disease. Historically...
Is dermal estrogen a safer choice in HRT?
Though there's much debate about the long-term safety of hormone replacement therapy (HRT), it does ...
What is the role of estrogen during pregnancy?
By increasing the number and size of blood vessels that go to the uterus, estrogen helps increase bl...