What are the risks of estrogen-replacement therapy (ERT)?

If your menopause occurred naturally (without being prompted by surgery), estrogen-replacement therapy, or ERT, can cause vaginal bleeding, since it replaces the estrogen that helped cause menstrual periods. This bleeding may be regular, or there may be spotting. However, some studies show about 80% of women who receive estrogen replacement therapy or a combination of estrogen and progestin do not have bleeding after one year. The risk of uterine cancer also increases slightly during ERT, which can be managed through regular doctor visits and a screening called an endometrial biopsy. ERT also can cause a slight increase in the risk of breast cancer, as well as a small increase in the risk of headaches, gallstones, and fluid retention. However, there are generally more benefits with this therapy, including a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, than drawbacks.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Estrogen

Can an estrogen and testosterone combination help treat my hot flashes?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Estratest is a hormone treatment product that combines estrogen and testosterone. It was approved fo...
What are topical estrogen therapies?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Estrogen can be applied directly to the skin in gels, creams, and sprays. One product, EstroGel,...
After menopause, how can I boost my estrogen levels through a healthy diet?
Plant estrogens can be found in whole grains and beans, which can provide a small amount of estrogen...
What is an estrogen ring?
Elizabeth Poynor, MDElizabeth Poynor, MD
A low-dose estrogen ring is designed to treat vaginal dryness. In this video, Elizabeth Poynor, MD, ...