Who is most likely to refuse surgery for esophageal cancer?

In a study of treatments for esophageal cancer, it was found that older, non-white women were more likely to refuse surgery, as were people with earlier stage disease (stage I and II). The researchers expected more skepticism toward surgery from people with advanced disease and a poor prognosis, but were particularly disheartened that people with surgically curable early stage disease would forgo potentially life-saving surgery. It is essential that all people with cancer be adequately informed about the risks and benefits of the various treatment options and that they have access to quality surgery.

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Risk Factors For Gastroesophageal Junction (GEJ) Cancer
Gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma is a rare type of cancer that begins in the gastroesophageal junction, or GEJ. The GEJ is the part of the bod...
What happens if I have to have my esophagus removed?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
If your esophagus is removed, it is replaced by another organ—usually the stomach. The stomach can b...
Is esophageal cancer serious?
Esophageal cancer is a serious cancer that develops in the tube that carries food from the mouth to ...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?