How can I protect my child from developing multiple chemical sensitivity?

Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergy & Immunology

Multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) may activate your children's plain old allergies in the event you renovate your home, or if your child's school is going to be renovated.

I therefore advise that:

• Children be isolated from renovation activity, especially during the demolition phase of construction.
  • When the old materials are stripped out, the exposed areas be inspected for water damage, and that all areas be thoroughly swept for vermin residue, dust, and so forth.
  • Your architect incorporate the requisite specifications for healthy air exchange.
  • Any central heating and cooling system be easy to maintain and clean, to discourage buildup of viruses and toxic bacteria.
  • If your child's school is planning an overhaul, consult with school officials to ensure that the children's health is provided for.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Environmental Allergies

Maybe It’s a Spice Allergy
Maybe It’s a Spice Allergy
When the Spice Girls, Scary, Sporty, Ginger, Baby and Posh were sprinkling their pop vocals over the airwaves, some folks had a strong reaction to the...
Which ingredients must be listed on food labels, due to food allergies?
Tania Elliott, MDTania Elliott, MD
There are several ingredients that make up 90% of food allergies, including milk, eggs, tree nuts, f...
Can I have a latex allergy and it not show in my blood work?
Yes, you may have a latex allergy even if you have negative blood work. The diagnosis of a latex all...
Immunotherapy to Treat and Prevent Allergies