When should I call my doctor if I have benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?

If you have benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH (an enlarged prostate gland), you should call your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:
  • reduced urine production when you urinate
  • fever and/or chills
  • pain in your back, side, or abdomen
  • blood or pus in your urine
  • incomplete emptying of your bladder when you urinate
  • sudden inability to urinate

You should also call your doctor if your symptoms have not improved despite following your doctor's instructions for self-care for two months. If you need to take certain medications that may cause urinary problems (including diuretics, antihistamines, sedatives or antidepressants) you also need to consult your doctor. Do not stop taking or change your medicines without talking to your doctor first.

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.