When should I call my doctor if I have benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?

If you have benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH (an enlarged prostate gland), you should call your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:
  • reduced urine production when you urinate
  • fever and/or chills
  • pain in your back, side, or abdomen
  • blood or pus in your urine
  • incomplete emptying of your bladder when you urinate
  • sudden inability to urinate

You should also call your doctor if your symptoms have not improved despite following your doctor's instructions for self-care for two months. If you need to take certain medications that may cause urinary problems (including diuretics, antihistamines, sedatives or antidepressants) you also need to consult your doctor. Do not stop taking or change your medicines without talking to your doctor first.

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate

Does an Enlarged Prostate Require Treatment?
You may find the symptoms of an enlarged prostate—frequent urination is among the most common—unpleasant, but does it require treatment? It depends on...
What conditions can lead to a groin pull?
Brian YeeBrian Yee
‘Groin pulls’ typically are due to over-compensation and poor mechanics in the legs and core stabili...
What is an enlarged prostate?
Enlarged prostate, also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), is a very common condition that...
Is an enlarged prostate life-threatening?
Having an enlarged prostate does not affect your chances of getting prostate cancer. Although the tw...