What is robotic radical prostatectomy?

A radical prostatectomy is a surgery for prostate cancer that involves removal of the entire prostate gland and some surrounding tissue. In a robotic radical prostatectomy, small cuts are made in the stomach and a flexible lighted tube containing the video camera and thin instruments are inserted into the incisions. The instruments are attached to a machine and are controlled by a surgeon using a console.
On average, it is believed that men use less blood when a prostatectomy is performed laparoscopically like this technique (rather than an open surgery) and also have a faster return of urinary continence (the ability to control your bladder). In most men with prostate cancer, surgery is curative.

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate

Does an Enlarged Prostate Require Treatment?
You may find the symptoms of an enlarged prostate—frequent urination is among the most common—unpleasant, but does it require treatment? It depends on...
What should I ask my urologist regarding enlarged prostate pain?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
1.  Is there an infection or tumor?  2.  Is there a nodule or swelling in the gland?  3.  Do I nee...
How dangerous is BPH?
A good measure of the seriousness of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) -- enlarged prostate -- ...
What is an enlarged prostate?
Enlarged prostate, also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), is a very common condition that...