Should I talk to my doctor about my enlarged prostate symptoms?

If you are a man displaying symptoms of an enlarged prostate, you should contact your doctor and consider getting tested. Symptoms primarily involve difficulty urinating: pain, a slow flow, trouble starting and stopping, or a bloody discharge. You are at particular risk if you are over 40 years old and have a family history of prostate problems. If not treated, an enlarged prostate will continue to grow, worsening symptoms and possibly damaging your kidneys, bladder, and urinary tract. Getting tested by your doctor can also help determine if there is another reason for your urinary problems, like prostate cancer.

Continue Learning about Enlarged Prostate Signs & Symptoms

What are the symptoms of benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)?
Typically patients with BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy) have the following symptoms: pain or prob...
More Answers
What should I do if I have symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?
Adam Perzin, MDAdam Perzin, MD
If you have symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) you should realize that the treatment for...
More Answers
What should I do if I have symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)?
Dr. Marc B. Garnick, MDDr. Marc B. Garnick, MD
If you experience symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or enlarged prostate, see your doc...
More Answers
Who should be tested for an enlarged prostate?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Men older than 40 should be on the look out for signs of an enlarged prostate, specifically symptoms...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.