What can I eat after exercise to replenish my energy?

The best thing to do after any exercise is to drink water, as it's important to stay hydrated. In addition to hydration, eating foods high in protein are good at replenishing energy. Protein helps build muscle and the protein can come in any form, be it nuts, a hard-boiled egg, protein shake or others. Carbohydrates are also high in energy, but you don't want to eat as much carbohydrates as protein. In addition, try to stay away from fats. They provide plenty of energy but will negate all of your hard work from exercising.
Kat Barefield, MS, RD
A combination of healthy fats and carbohydrates is essential to replenishing energy stores after exercise. This zesty salad packs both -- carbs from the pasta and fat from the olives and feta cheese. Pair it with a protein for the perfect recovery meal.
Lemon and Watercress Pasta Salad
  • Serves 4
  • 1 bunch watercress (about 2 cups)
  • 12 ounces pasta, such as orecchiette
  • 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
  • ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
  • 20-25 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Grated rind of 2 lemons
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Strip the watercress leaves from the large stems. Wash leaves in cold water and spin dry.  Chop slightly, so leaves are separated from other leaves but still mostly whole.
Cook pasta according to package directions or until al dente.Drain and place in a large bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Toss with remaining ingredients.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

Continue Learning about Energy Boosters

Creating Your Own Sources of Renewable Energy
Wouldn’t it be great if you could put on a solar panel hat and run all day on the fuel and energy that would generate? Well, you do use the sun as a s...
What is a recipe for a drink that can help fight fatigue and boost energy?
Try my “Wakeup Water.” Make a pitcher each day that contains:8 cups water (to stay hydrated)3/4 cu...
Boost Your Energy Level in 11 Steps
Boost Your Energy Level in 11 StepsBoost Your Energy Level in 11 StepsBoost Your Energy Level in 11 StepsBoost Your Energy Level in 11 Steps
Recharge your batteries so you can keep on going like the Energizer bunny.
What Foods Can I Eat to Increase My Energy Level?