Which foods can help me maintain high energy levels?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
To keep your energy up throughout the day, the most important thing you can do is stick to an overall healthy, balanced diet. Include high-quality sources of healthy fats (such as nuts) and lean protein, because these provide long-lasting energy. Make sure to drink plenty of water. Avoid foods containing lots of sugar, because the inevitable sugar crash will cause your energy levels to plummet. Also, pay attention to how your body reacts to certain foods. In my case, carbs make me sleepy.
JJ Virgin
Health Education
Steady, sustained energy levels begin by balancing blood sugar levels. Lean protein, healthy fats, leafy and cruciferous veggies, and slow-release high-fiber starches steady blood sugar, keep you full longer, and help maintain all-day energy.
Jorge Cruise

If you're having trouble keeping your energy levels up, the solution may be as simple as cutting back on one common food ingredient. Find out why in this video featuring Dr. Oz guest fitness expert and author Jorge Cruise.

Kate Geagan
Watch as Nutritionist Kate Geagan explains which foods help an individual maintain high energy levels naturally. 

Ben Gordon, an NBA star, needs some nutrition information. "I'm a professional athlete. I train anywhere between two and three times a day. What kind of foods can I add to my diet to help me maintain high energy levels throughout my day and not crash after I'm finished working out?" he says.

Dr. Mehmet Oz, Vice-Chair and Professor of Surgery at Columbia University, recommends that Gordon eat more foods with antioxidants. "What happens to a lot of great athletes is they are creating so much oxidation in their bodies from working out all the time, especially if they work out for more than two hours a day -- you're doing this for sure -- that they don't have the oxidant stores to keep up with that. So you've got to build up those antioxidant stores by eating leafy green vegetables."

Bright colored fruits, like goji berries, are also great, Dr. Oz says. "They grow in the Himalayas. They're the most potent antioxidant fruit that we know," he says. "Remember, foods are drugs. They work just like that. But especially for an athlete that's moving fast all over the place, you've got to keep the antioxidant stores in your body high, and the best way to do it is through the foods you eat."

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Energy Boosters