How can I boost my energy?

John Douillard, DC
Herbal Medicine
With a million Americans suffering from fatigue, many tend to reach for caffeine, dark chocolate, or comfort food to remedy their depleted energy. Energy boosters like these do stimulate short-lived surges of energy, but deeply exhaust the body in the process. Sadly, each time the energy rises as a result of a stimulant, it will crash into a deeper deficit.

From an Ayurvedic viewpoint, a healthy energy aid should be able to boost energy in the morning, and if taken before bed, it should allow for restful sleep -- because it is deeply rejuvenative, and not a stimulant.

Here are my favorite energy aids that can be taken in the AM for energy, as well as before bed for a good night’s sleep:
  • Ashwagandha (Withania somnefera)
  • Brahmi (Centella asiatica)
  • Ojas-Builders such as the herb Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), being loving towards others and giving unconditionally, and eating ojas-building foods such as ghee, raw honey, almonds, coconut, dates, saffron, and organic non-homogenized, vat-pasteurized, or raw milk.

There are several key methods that can help boost your energy.

• Strive for 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
  • Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes 5 days per week.
  • Eat a healthy diet low in processed sugar and refined carbohydrates. Opt for healthy fruits, vegetables, and lean protein to give your body the energy boost it needs.
  • Consume a daily multivitamin.
  • Drink a minimum of 9-12 cups of water per day. Chronic dehydration causes fatigue.
  • Reduce stress through relaxation techniques.
Some tips to boost energy include:
  • Sit in silence for a few minutes after a tough day. This kind of meditative practice will help you calm down and breathe.
  • Give away a prized possession. Acts of generosity and finding that you are not tied to your possessions can be revitalizing.
  • Try yoga. Postures like downward-facing dog are good ways you can use your body to help your mind feel more grounded.
  • Have less sex. Too much sex can deplete the organs. From time to time, try yoga postures instead.

28-day holistic health overhaul:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/28-day-holistic-health-overhaul

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Energy Boosters