What might it mean if my calcium level is high and my PTH is normal?

When your calcium level is high, the normal response of the parathyroid glands is to stop producing parathyroid hormone (PTH), so the parathyroid hormone should be very low. If the calcium is elevated and PTH is still being produced in significant amounts this could be a sign of primary hyperparathyroidism. A PTH in the "normal" range may not be appropriate for someone with hypercalcemia and could be a sign of hyperparathyroidism. It is important to meet with your doctor to discuss these possibilities and your doctor may order additional tests to determine if there is a problem with your parathyroid glands.
In addition there are certain medical conditions or medications that can cause a high calcium level with a low or normal parathyroid hormone (PTH) level. Those conditions include: Sarcoidosis, multiple myeloma, Paget, Milk Alkali syndrome and high vitamin D levels. Advanced cancers that spread to the bone, such as breast cancer, lung cancer and kidney cancer, cause breakdown of bone and release of calcium.
For additional information, please refer to www.endocrine diseases.org:  
Parathyroid gland

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?