What is a multinodular goiter?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Goiter occurs when your thyroid gland enlarges. A multinodular goiter is a specific kind of goiter that consists of multiple lumps that can grow on more than one part of your thyroid. The lumps that form a multinodular goiter can either be filled with fluid or solid.

Multinodular goiter is enlargement of the thyroid due to the growth of multiple nodules. The number and sizes of the nodules vary amongst individuals. There are two forms of multinodular goiter:

1. nontoxic multinodular goiter
  2. toxic multinodular goiter

If the goiter makes normal amounts of thyroid hormone, it is known as a nontoxic multinodular goiter. If the goiter makes inappropriately high amounts of thyroid hormone, it is known as a toxic multinodular goiter.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:

Benign non-toxic multinodular goiter

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?