What is a goiter?

“Goiter” is a term for abnormal enlargement of the thyroid gland. The gland can be generally enlarged or have multiple growths (nodules) leading to enlargement of the whole thyroid gland. A goiter can be associated with an overactive gland, an underactive gland, or a normal thyroid gland.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:

Benign non-toxic multinodular goiter

The term goiter refers to an abnormal growth of the thyroid gland, which lies at the base of the neck just below your Adam’s apple. Goiters may be associated with normal, increased or decreased production of the thyroid hormone. It may be a temporary problem that will resolve on its own over time or may require further medical treatment depending on the size of the goiter, your symptoms and the underlying cause for the thyroid growth.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?