What is the function of aldosterone hormone?

Aldosterone affects sodium, potassium, total fluid in the body, and blood pressure. Aldosterone causes the kidneys to hold onto more sodium, which leads to more water staying in the body. The more fluid the body holds onto, the higher the blood pressure may become. Potassium may decrease as the amount of aldosterone increases. Aldosterone also directly affects the heart and blood vessels.
For more information go to endocrinediseases.org: http://endocrinediseases.org/adrenal/adrenal_what.shtml

Aldosterone belongs to a class of hormones called mineral corticoids, also produced by the adrenal glands. Aldosterone helps maintain blood pressure (BP) and water and salt balance in the body by helping the kidneys retain sodium and excrete potassium. When aldosterone production falls too low, the kidneys are not able to regulate water and salt balance, leading to a drop in both blood volume and BP.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?