What does the hypothalamus do?

The hypothalamus relays signals from many parts of the brain to the pituitary, which in turn sends its own messages to various parts of the body.

The hypothalamus also produces two hormones that are release by the pituitary gland.Oxytocin is responsible for stimulation of milk ejection (milk letdown) and for stimulation of uterine smooth muscle contraction at birth. Vasopressin (ADH) is the primary regulator of body water.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
How can I manage my multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You can manage multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1) by having regular check-ups with a doctor,...
How long do endocrine system diseases last?
Most endocrine system diseases are chronic and persist for life. Endocrine system diseases can have ...
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?