What can I do if my parathyroid surgery was unsuccessful?

This could be problematic because re-operative parathyroid surgery is technically challenging. It has higher complication rates as well as failure rates; this is why we underscore the importance of having it done right the first time.

Your endocrinologist or your endocrine surgeon must first ascertain your diagnosis, so a complete set of your blood and urine tests need to be repeated. This is particularly essential if you were initially explored by an experienced parathyroid surgeon. There should be a higher threshold to re-do your surgery. The decision to re-operate is multifactorial. If you have a mild elevation of calcium level, without significant effect on your bone, kidney, or neurocognitive function, you might want to consider observation or medical treatment to lower your calcium level.

If re-operative surgery is indicated and pursued, you should obtain all your medical records related to your initial surgery. You may need a more extensive evaluation prior to surgery including additional imaging studies, vocal cord evaluation and additional intraoperative tools.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:

Diseases of the parathyroid glands: Treatment: Alternative to Surgery

Diseases of the parathyroid glands: Re-operative (re-do) parathyroid surgery

Diseases of the parathyroid glands: Find an Expert Parathyroid Surgeon

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
Should I see a doctor for my follicular adenoma thyroid nodules symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor if you experience the symptoms of follicular adenoma thyroid nod...
When do I need to have my testosterone level checked?
Dr. Harris H. McIlwain, MDDr. Harris H. McIlwain, MD
If you are age 40 and above, or if you are having symptoms such as lack of energy, fatigue, or reduc...
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?