What are the pros and cons of transdermal delivery of hormones?

Transdermal delivery of hormones may have different harms and benefits from oral formulations. Unlike pills, which are processed through the liver, the medication in skin patches and gels is absorbed directly into the bloodstream. This may be an advantage for those of us who have a history of liver problems. But there have not been studies that prove that the health risks of patches or gels are lower than those of pills. Until there is evidence of that, we have to assume that the risks are the same.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?