What is human placental lactogen (hPL)?

In a pregnant woman, the placenta produces a hormone called human placental lactogen (hPL). It's almost identical in structure to growth hormone that is present in all women, but in pregnant women, hPL can reach a thousand times the equivalent normal concentration. The job of hPL is to inhibit mom's insulin from getting glucose into her cells, thereby increasing mom's bloodstream glucose levels and making more available to her baby.

When hPL blocks insulin's ability to transport glucose into your cells, it allows your baby to get the glucose he needs to grow. This hormonal dance - delicate and subtle as it is - ultimately influences whether your baby will achieve a target weight during pregnancy or not. And when this dance gets a little bit out of sync - oftentimes through absolutely no fault of the mom - that's when we start to see issues that can influence both the development of your baby as he grows inside of you and your baby's future health after birth.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
What chemicals are commonly found in emotional tears?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Chemicals found in emotional tears include the protein prolactin, the Adrenocorticotopic hormones an...
What's the difference between multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2A and 2B?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
There are two different types of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2): MEN2A and MEN2B. In bot...
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?