What is human placental lactogen (hPL)?

In a pregnant woman, the placenta produces a hormone called human placental lactogen (hPL). It's almost identical in structure to growth hormone that is present in all women, but in pregnant women, hPL can reach a thousand times the equivalent normal concentration. The job of hPL is to inhibit mom's insulin from getting glucose into her cells, thereby increasing mom's bloodstream glucose levels and making more available to her baby.

When hPL blocks insulin's ability to transport glucose into your cells, it allows your baby to get the glucose he needs to grow. This hormonal dance - delicate and subtle as it is - ultimately influences whether your baby will achieve a target weight during pregnancy or not. And when this dance gets a little bit out of sync - oftentimes through absolutely no fault of the mom - that's when we start to see issues that can influence both the development of your baby as he grows inside of you and your baby's future health after birth.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

Endocrine System

Your endocrine system works with your nervous system to control important bodily functions. The endocrine systems responsibilities include regulating growth, sexual development and function, metabolism and mood. The endocrine syst...

em also helps give your body the energy it needs to function properly. Endocrine glands secrete hormones into the bloodstream. Hormones are considered chemical messengers, coordinating your body by transferring information from one set of cells to another. Your endocrine system health can be affected by hormone imbalances resulting from impaired glands. A hormone imbalance can cause problems with bodily growth, sexual development, metabolism and other bodily functions. Endocrine system diseases or conditions include diabetes, growth disorders and osteoporosis.