How does female puberty work?

The shift from confident child to confident adult is not seamless-puberty can be challenging for a girl.

Picture a little girl, showing no signs of adulthood, joyfully skipping or hand-clapping or squealing with childish delight. Gazing at this happy-go-lucky kid, you would never see the biological tumult within. Her hormones are laying the foundation for enormous unrest and change-puberty is on its way.

Puberty is initiated when a small gland inside the middle of the base of a female's brain (the hypothalamus) begins to distribute a chemical that until now has been dormant for years and years.

This chemical is known as gonadotropin-releasing hormone, or GnRH. Inside the hypothalamus, GnRH has been biding its time, waiting for its signal from a gatekeeper gene called GPR54.

The hypothalamus keeps tabs on the state of a girl's body, seeking just the right balance in system-wide conditions to buttress puberty. One primary condition monitored is the level of leptin, a hormone produced in fat cells. When a girl's body fat reaches a predetermined level and there is an adequate amount of leptin, the hypothalamus initiates the process of puberty.

The GPR54 gene lends a hand as the GnRH charges out of the hypothalamus and travels to the pituitary gland directly beneath the hypothalamus. The pea-shaped pituitary gland has been anticipating the appearance of GnRH, and with its arrival the gland now launches its own chemicals: leutinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH).

As these chemicals now course throughout a girl's body-prompting hormone production in the ovaries, causing the breasts to develop and triggering psychological and physical chaos-childhood is officially drawing to a close and paving a path to womanhood.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?