How can someone with adrenal insufficiency prepare for an emergency?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

People with adrenal insufficiency should always carry identification stating their condition in case of an emergency. A card or a medical alert tag should notify emergency health care providers of the need to inject cortisol if the person is found severely injured or unable to answer questions. The card or tag should also include the name and telephone number of the person's doctor and the name and telephone number of a family member to be notified. The dose of hydrocortisone needed may vary with a person's age or size. For example, a child younger than two years of age can receive a dose of 25 mg, a child between two and eight years of age can receive a dose of 50 mg, and a child older than eight years should receive the adult dose of 100 mg. When traveling, people with adrenal insufficiency should carry a needle, a syringe, and an injectable form of cortisol for emergencies.

This answer is based on source information from National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?