Is hormone replacement therapy (HRT) always necessary?

Shelley C. Giebel, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

No, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is not necessary.  HRT is used primarily if you are having symptoms.  If hot flashes, night sweats, and insomnia happen then you can talk with your doctor.   

Every time you consider taking a medication, you have to decide if the benefit of taking the medication is worth the risks involved. Estrogen, one hormone used in HRT has been shown to increase your risk for breast cancer.  Some Progesterones used in HRT have been shown to have adverse effects on cholesterol. 

All medicines have side effects and risks, so ask your doctor what are the risks of taking HRT, then you can make an informed decision that is right for you.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?